Q1. Will an iPhone work in Canada? Can I just put in a SIM card and use it in Canada?
Answer: An iPhone will work in Canada, but it needs to be unlocked. You cannot just put in your SIM card for it to work. It must be unlocked to be used with Rogers or Fido (the only GSM networks in Canada). It will not work with Telus or Bell. As they are CDMA networks.
Also if you have purchased your iPhone in US and now brought to Canada, there are a few variants of iPhones in the states that are tailored for the CDMA network of Sprint and Verizon. Those will not work with Public Mobile with LTE (they are usually not locked). However, some of those have a SIM slots where it will work with Public Mobile but only at 3G speeds.
Q2. I want to use a data plan with my iPhone. What are my options?
Answer: In Canada you can use a data plan with your iPhone. The best unlimited data deal you’ll find in Canada is the Total 15 from SaskTel for $75/month when you bring your own phone. Freedom Mobile has a great unlimited data plan that includes a free Apple iPhone XR on a $75/month plan. The cheapest plans with nationwide unlimited data come from Chatr Wireless with prepaid plans for $25 and up.
Q3. How do I use my iPhone with Rogers or Fido?
Answer: If you’re an existing Rogers or Fido user, just put in your Rogers/Fido SIM card into the iPhone.
Q4. How do I download 3rd party applications to my iPhone?
Answer: To install most third party applications, you can easily visit a website by inputting a web address using Safari on your iPhone or iPod Touch and simply following the directions on the screen. For the vast majority of third party apps, installation will be as simple as to download them from the Internet and install them on your Windows or Mac computer.
Also, note that iTunes also offers a direct connection with a variety of third party applications for both the iPhone and the iPod Touch.
- iTunes is a software provided officially by Apple Inc. This software allows you to install third-party apps on your iPhone. The process is quite simple.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer (USD connection) via a data cable.
- Start iTunes application on your computer.
- Choose your iPhone model from the list of devices.
- Click the Apps tab in iTunes.
- Mark the applications you did like to transfer to your iPhone. Only marked apps will go to your phone.
- Click Sync.
- Application transfer will begin. Once the transfer is complete, iTunes will notify you to disconnect your iPhone.
- Disconnect your iPhone by removing the data cable.
3rd party applications are installed via the program called Installer on your iPhone. This is where you will find the installs for iAno or PocketGuitar. Using Installer.app, an iPhone user can install an app via Wi-Fi or Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS).
Q5. How to add ringtones to my iPhone. What’s the easiest way?
Answer: You can do this by iPhone Ring tone Maker. You can edit, create, and transfer an mp3 ringtone to your iPhone in less than one minute.
To change your ringtone
- Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics.
- Under Sounds and Vibrations Patterns, tap the sound that you want to change.
- Tap a ringtone or alert tone to hear and set it as the new sound.
You can also buy ringtones from iTunes.
Q6. Will my Verizon iPhone 6s work on Rogers’ network, with full LTE compatibility?
Answer: Yes if its unlocked. If you want to use a Rogers SIM card in your phone and use the Rogers service, and if you want to use your Verizon phone in Canada then use their service.
If you are using a mobile phone that you have purchased outside of Canada or from a different carrier, you may be able to use it with Rogers as long as it is “unlocked”.
- Your device must be compatible with the Rogers network, which uses GSM and UMTS on 850 MHz (Band 5) and 1900 MHz (Band 2), and LTE on 700 MHz (Band 12/17), 1900 MHz (Band 2), 2600 MHz (Band 7), and 1700/2100 MHz AWS (Band 4). If you are unsure how to check the frequencies your device supports, try the manufacturer’s official website and search for the specifications for your particular phone/smartphone model. Also if your device is not compatible, check out the latest selection of Rogers mobile phones and smartphones.
- Now if your device is currently locked, it needs to be unlocked.
- To use your unlocked device, you need to buy a Rogers SIM card from a Rogers store near you. To access the LTE network, you’ll need a 4G LTE SIM card, LTE-ready device and LTE coverage.
- Once you’ve obtained a Rogers SIM card:
- If the SIM card is already activated, simply insert your SIM card into your mobile phone or smartphone.
- If not, activate your wireless service by Contacting them or visiting the stores. Click here to see what plan and features that work best for you.
- If you want to use the internet on your unlocked phone, you must also subscribe to a Data Plan or purchase a Data Pass.
Q7. Is it possible to bypass Rogers’ fee and unlock my iPhone 5s?
Answer: No as Verizon will only activate the 5s if it was originally sold to be used on the Verizon network. Click here to find how to unlock your iPhone from Rogers.
Q8. Will the iPhone SE bought in the US work in Canada?
Answer: Yes, as long as you buy it direct from the Apple store which would mean it is unlocked. Any model will work in Canada but depending on your carrier you might be lacking an LTE band which may affect LTE coverage. Compare the data to see if it would affect you or not.