Gmail Account is set up by every Android mobile user. You can set up as many Gmail Account as you want and even sync together all of your Google Mail accounts if you want. When you first try to set p your Gmail account, by default it wall ask for your phone number to set up a new Gmail account.
Many a times you don’t wish to leak your phone number or for any other reason don’t want to give your phone number. Can you still set up your Gmail account without entering your mobile number? Lets find out.
Why Google Asks for your mobile number?
Google has its own standards of security and checkup and thus asks for your mobile number:
- To receive verification codes and password reset links
- To contact you
- To assist you in case your account gets locked
You don’t need a phone number to use Gmail or any Google service for that matter. While adding a phone number is recommended to receive verification codes and password reset links, it isn’t essential. However, if you add a phone number, you can only add the same number to four Google accounts.
Why you need a Google account?
A Google Account gives you access to many Google products. With a Google Account, you can do things like:
- Send and receive email using Gmail
- Find your new favorite video on YouTube
- Download apps from Google Play
Hack to use Your Gmail Account Without A Mobile Number
Now that you don’t want to give your mobie number on your Google / Gmail account no worries. There are certain hacks to solve your problem. As said above Google heavily promotes the idea to contact you with verification codes and assist with account lockout situations. But if you choose to withhold your number, nothing bad will happen. Your Google / Gmail account will continue to work as usual.
If you decide to add your phone number for security purposes, you can only use the same number for up to four different accounts. After that, you can use a different security verification process, such as two-factor authentication or a Yubikey.
Note that if you’ve reached your four account limit, you don’t want to use another verification method, or you don’t want Google to know your mobile number, sign up for an account as usual, and keep the phone number field blank. As you can see, it’s clearly marked as optional.
If you put in your mobile number Google clearly mentions that it will use this number only for account security. Your number won’t be visible to others. You can choose later whether to use it for other purposes.
It’s recommended, however, to add a recovery email address to all of your other Gmail addresses, so Google has something to contact you with if you’re locked out of your account. You should also set your age to 15 years old on both the account you’re setting up and the recovery email, as this apparently tells Google you likely don’t have your own phone yet.
Another option is to use a dummy number to receive an SMS verification from Google. One such free service is Free SMS Verification.
When you sign up for a Google account on your phone, and it asks you for a number, you can enter a dummy number mentioned above. Or you can tap the Skip link to bypass the need for a phone number altogether.
How to set up Gmail account on Android and iPhone?
Pick your mobile and open the Settings app, and select the Accounts option (on iOS, go to Mail then Accounts). The next step is to tap Add account at the bottom and choose Google.
A page will appear to sign in to your account or create a new one. Select the Create account option and then follow the on-screen instructions by entering your personal information, selecting a username and password, and completing the process by agreeing to the terms of service.
Step-by-step instructions to set up a Google Account on Android or iOS:
- Head into the Settings of your device.
- Select Accounts. In iOS, this setting is inside the Mail option.
- Tap on Add account.
- Select Google.
- Pick Create account.
- Follow on-screen instructions by entering your personal information, selecting a username, etc.
- Tap the I Agree button to create your Google account.
- Step-by-step instructions to set up a Google Account on a browser:
- Go to accounts.google.com Sign Up page.
- Enter your name, username, and password.
- Select Next.
- Enter your phone number, recovery email, birthday, and gender.
- Select Next
- If you entered a phone number, you can verify it now.
- Follow instructions.
Q1. Can I change my mobile number if has been added to your Gmail account?
Yes you can change or remove your mobile number. All you need is to go to your Google account, then Personal Info–>Contact Info–>Phone. Click the pencil to edit the number, or the trash can to delete the number entirely.
Q2. What if Google asks for mobile number?
Google asks for these procedures to stop spam robots from signing up. Is there anything in the email address that would make Google think you’re a spam robot? Maybe the email is firstname.lastname@example.org? If so, change the username. Also, switch off your VPN if you have one on, as some web services (especially Google) see that as a possible automated robot signing up.
Q3. How to make information private or visible?
You can make some information on your Google Account private or visible to anyone. That way, you’re in control of who views info like your birthday or phone number across Google services.
You can add, edit or remove personal information.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open your device’s Settings app, then tap Google Manage your Google Account.
- At the top, tap Personal info.
- Under “Choose what others see,” tap Go to About me.
- Change your info:
- Add: For each category you want to add info to, tap Add.
- Edit: Tap the info you’d like to change and then tap Edit .
- Note that if you’ve changed your name recently, you might need to wait before you can change it again.
- Remove: Tap the info you’d like to remove and then tap Remove.
- Follow the on-screen steps.
- Also to change some other account info, like your password, go to your Google Account.
- You can choose what info you want to display
Q3. How to be private for my profile picture?
Your name and profile picture can be viewed by other people who use Google services where your main Google Account profile is shown, including when you communicate or share content.
Remember that other info that you add, you can choose if it’s private or visible to anyone.
On your Android phone or tablet, open your Settings.
Tap Google and then Manage your Google Account then Personal info.
Under “Choose what others see,” tap Go to About me.
Below a type of info, you can choose who currently sees this info.
Choose one of the following:
To make the info private, tap Only you and tap to edit who can see the info.
To make the info visible to anyone, tap Anyone
Q4. How to view and manage your profiles in Google services?
In some Google services, you have a profile that’s visible to other people who use that service. You can find your profiles for some services in your Google Account.
On your Android phone or tablet, go to your Google Account.
- At the top, tap Personal info.
- Scroll to “Your profiles.” Then, tap See profiles.
- Select a service to view your profile info.
- Go to the service to manage your profile info.